Whatever pretty image you may have in mind of Switzerland, it is most probably somewhere in Luzern … Surely, it is one of the most photographed regions in the Alps. Its well-preserved medieval city, the beautiful lake, and the magnificent mountains around build a breathtaking, stunning scenery.
While in Luzern, you can take a picture—literally—with eyes closed, and be sure that it will be a great shot. No joke; I have tested this!
I am including three foodie places that are my favorites and one new discovery. They are all in the city center, just walking distance from the train station and the KKL (Luzern Culture and Convention Centre).
- For music lovers, the KKL Concert Hall has been built to offer optimum acoustics. The hall can be adapted for classical or modern music performances to obtain the best audio. Do not miss the chance of enjoying a concert in what is considered as one of the world’s top-ten concert venues. You will have an unforgettable experience. For instance, one can watch movies on a big screen, while the 21st Century Symphony Orchestra features the soundtracks live.
If you are a foodie, but still do not have much time–besides the à-la-carte menu–they offer a quick-lunch option (starter/main/dessert), which is served on a tray all at once.
The staff is friendly. The atmosphere in the restaurant is lovely, and there is a nice lounge bar as well.
Hinicht – Once again strolling through the city was the best way to discover …
We found this cool spot in the Neustadt neighborhood. What used to be a video rental is now a little café-bar, serving from breakfasts to good coffees/teas, and aperitifs. The name hinicht is a word in Swiss dialect (heute Abend in German) and means this evening. Their specialty is the pulled-pork burger, which I will have to try next time.
Love the laid-back spot in this central, lively neighborhood, where locals still can escape from the hustle and bustle of the tourists.
La Cucina – The first time we tried this Italian was some years ago after a KKL concert. Since then, we always like to go back. It is located inside the Hotel Astoria****. The dining area impresses with massive wooden pillars, decorated ceiling, and hanging crystal chandeliers.
The open kitchen is constantly busy taking care of the orders. Check these irresistible pasta dishes
… and these mains.
Delicious, freshly-baked pizzas come out of the stone oven.
Pastarazzi – Another nice Italian. This one is great for a drink, a coffee, an uncomplicated lunch or dinner … You can even take away.
The atmosphere is almost industrial with exposed pipes below the ceiling. Though the wooden furniture and casual tableware provide a homely atmosphere.
A deli counter with a selection of salami, hams, cheeses, etc. Another counter towards the street showcases the ravioli, the house specialty.
Everything is freshly prepared behind the bar and served with a smile.
Not to miss in the city:
- Chapel Bridge and Water Tower (Kapellbrücke und Wasserturm)
- Glacier Garden (Gletschergarten), very close to the Lion Monument of Lucerne
- Musegg Wall (Museggmauer)
- Rosengart Collection Lucerne – Just 200 m from La Cucina or 300 m from Pastarazzi you will find this fine, private collection of works by Picasso (125) and Klee (180), among twenty other masters of the 19th and 20th centuries.
- Swiss Museum of Transport (Verkehrshaus)
Not to miss around the Lake of Lucerne:
Use the boat to explore it. There are plenty of interesting options. It is a delightful way to get to the charming towns along the lake, like here Weggis. From Weggis, you can easily reach Mount Rigi.
Sit back and just enjoy the breathtaking, scenic view:
or visit fantastic sites like